Sunday, January 8, 2012

Ari in ER

I Thought we'd end up here today after Ari choked at lunch.

I didn't think it would be due to his cecostomy button coming out. I couldn't reinsert it- looks like the balloon has a leak. The hole is closing by the minute. Praying they can get a new button in or he'll be in surgery this week. It will be painful either way.

Poor kid cannot catch a break.

***UPDATE***  The hole closed significantly, so there was no time for meds or anesthesia.  The doctor had to use 3 different sized rubber catheters to dilate it, then use a stylus to stretch and insert a new button.  Ari was screaming in pain.  I had to hold him down, whispering in his ear, "I'm so sorry, it's almost over, I'm so sorry, Baby."  Though normally composed, I couldn't hold it together this time.  It was awful.

When it was over, I rocked him in the chair and within 30 minutes, he was his normal, happy self- proud to show off his new button.  One visit to fluoroscopy to check placement and we were home by 8:30.

He told me later that he does not want to have any more "button aches"... proud of his funny play on the words "tummy ache".  I love this boy.

1 comment: