Sunday, January 22, 2012

Ari in Surgery

Ari just went into the OR for an emergency procedure to remove food stuck in his esophagus. We had 2 ER visits, 2 IVs, and 1 admission in the past 24 hours. We've been up all night.

To the nurse who walked us down to surgery... I don't care about your cats, how many you have and what color they are. I also don't care that you like to read and knit, have a niece and nephew and whether they've lost their baby fat or not. Five minutes before my child who is scared out of his mind goes into surgery is not the time to inform him of the potential inaccuracies of computers.

I understand that you are trying to fill silence, but I wanted to have quiet time with my child. Sunday surgeries do not come with pre-op meds (different route in) and I was trying to calm him, pray and summon his brave roar.

Now that I got that off my chest...

There is a lot of food stuck in an odd egg-like sack above the site where his esophagus was connected. He had an esophagram (similar to a long, video x-ray) in radiology this morning to verify the impaction.

I started writing about his esophagus and will post it tonight. It should help explain why this happens and how blessed he is to have an esophagus at all. A true miracle.

I pray for a error free and safe surgery and that he will chew better and drink more when he eats in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a horrific night. We are praying for ari and you all. Looking forward to hearing when he is out

    ReplyDelete