Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Ari is in surgery now...

Ari went back an hour ago, loopy on Versed. The nurses call to give updates from the OR. I may be alone in my opinion, but I don't like these calls. They are supposed to make us feel comfortable, but offer no valuable information. This past call informed me that he went to sleep well and they are beginning the procedure. In my mind, I can see my son intubated, doctor cutting into his abdomen and inserting the clamps that hold his body open. I don't want to see this... Ever... even if only in my imagination.

She said she will call again in about a hour. I know, from past experience, that if close to two hours pass without a call, something did not go as planned. I stand my ground... No calls from the start are a much better option for us.

Next, we wait for the doctor to knock on the door and tell us that the procedure went as planned or if he had to change his course due to a multitude of possible reasons, what he found, and how he adapted.

Ari was strong and confident going into this surgery, roaring his courage loudly. There is an energy to this place... Love it or not, we're part of it and Ari finds comfort in his routine here.

Speaking of finding comfort, Ari's primary surgeon Dr. Bleacher stopped by to see us. He is such an integral part of our family's journey. I felt my anxiety lessen the minute he walked through the door.

Larry and I are incredibly touched by all of the prayers and support our family has received. Social media has extended the reach of Ari's story... I love that!! He is such an inspiration... My hero.

I'll post an update once he's out of surgery. Until then, please keep Ari and his surgical team in your prayers.

1 comment: